Tuesday 19 February 2013

Before the 'cold' returns and my brain seizes ...

A quick 'oldie set of posts thanks to stuff being place on the Internet.

I noticed recently that Games Workshop tried to register the term 'space marine' as belonging to them and tried to use bullying tactics to quash others using the terminology  Frankly, I think a lot of SF writers [and artists] will be writhing in their graves, but it appears they 'failed'. 

Anyway, here are a few of my Space marines done for them many moons ago.






Here now are some other bits ...


Above one of my covers for Rosemary Pardoes's excellent small press magazine about M.R. James.


A recent post on Facebook reminded me of how much I like to draw skeletal figures...

As mentioned before, Dungeon World [French version] hired me last Summer to produce some work for them found a few other bits which contain my work. 
They did kindly offer me a copy of the T-shirt [above], but the rest [below] is totally new to me.


Rather have been sent this T-shirt, or the promised copy of the game [box] but then I saw neither. But still, I did get paid [laugh]. 


More recent projects about to come out are for Kobold Press and the French Scriptarium group and I believe that launches soon. I have agreed to appear in Lille but still no idea where [laugh] at the end of March, and of course at the magnificent [if it is anything like the 2011 event] Trolls & Legendes 2013 in Mons, Belgium,  where I will be at the Le Grimoire table for signings and showing off some of my original artwork pieces. If you can get there please stop and say hi.


Finally [to size], a re-draw commission of the Death knight I created for The Fiend Folio,


One of my initial sketches for 'The Sorceress',

 and two female character sketches for the original 'Heart of Ice', [not to be confused by the new version].

till the next time ...

10 comments:

  1. Ah...so YOU are the one that drew those particular Space Marine pics. I guess that explains why I always thought they were great while most other SM depictions stroke me as a bit goofy. :)

    Also, awesome Death Knight re-draw! If I was publishing an OSR bestiary I'd be sure to hire your services. By the way, where can folks obtain info on how much you charge for small B&W commissions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easy, click on the profile where there should be an email link and I'll send you a fee list by [more or less] return. If that fails [you know Google] try Facebook.

      Delete
  2. Thanks very much for a great blog, Mr. Nicholson. I'm very glad to have chanced upon it. I've been a fan of your wonderful work since I first laid eyes on The Fiend Folio as a little sprout. I remember bunches of us kids gathered around one book staring in wonder at your Githyanki, the Blindheim, the desperate fight with the Grell...The Measel ambush, etc...

    Funny you should post these pictures today...I've been studying those 2 drawings of the Space Marines with the teeth on their helmets for the last couple of weeks, wondering if I possess the ability to paint my little box of recently acquired Rogue Trader Marines in a similar fashion...I probably don't but I think I'm going to try anyway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mouse, love to see the results [maybe on Facebook?]. As for me, too lazy, though my other half did take some 'bits and broken stubs' and created fresh figures... what patience.

      Delete
  3. Hope you have warmed up Russ,great work. Love the big Fiend Folio Deathknight rework.It would be great to see more new FF pieces.Your Space Marine pieces from White Dwarf are excellent. I remember going through all my early WD's hunting for your artwork. I scanned any I found, which was quite a lot, you sir are one busy fellow, the art is always highly detailed and professionally executed.Thanks for the on going inspiration my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lAUGH .. STILL COLD.
    Thanks for the comments Andy .. yes I posted the death knight at original size [which I am now about to change] so people could see it as such, but then that is unfair to the person who paid for it I think, thus it will shrink.
    Yes quite busy thanks, though not earning any fortune [laugh] just about to do a speculative piece [completely different in style] for Steve Jackson, working on a T-shirt, and a book cover and maybe about to embark on a bigger project. So watch this space ... or not. Keep well. As for your scans of my stuff ...please send and I'll show off as before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your work, Russ! I've just returned to fantasy roleplaying games (after 25 years or so!) with the release of "Dungeon Crawl Classics." I noticed your art in that book, then was just flipping through "The Fiend Folio" and was struck by the "RUSS" illustrations. Having done illustration work myself, your long and prolific career is an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike much appreciated. I hope I'll be around a lot longer as I love to draw, especially if the subject theme is right. Look out for a post soon, which will contain some FF 'redraws and really tiny spots done for GW's Doctor Who game.

      Delete
  6. That pic of the Space Wolf destroying the hapless Ork warrior is brutal, but then a lot of your work for GW/FF was. The interior spread illo you did for the 'Trolltooth Wars' and some of the work in 'Blacksand' used to make me rethink my heroics in various RPG's!

    Great stuff =)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.