Sunday 16 June 2013

Space, Doctor Who game, Warhammer and other bits...

Shocking I realise but here is another June post. Must be the weather [grin].

This post will feature some space related bits, including some sketches made as possible 'ideas' and as I found some 'original' drawings a bit about my involvement in the Doctor Who: The Game of Time & And Space.

So let's start there, in truth my memory is sparse but I was approached by Games Workshop around 1979 to do some counter designs for their new board game Doctor Who: The Game of Time & And Space. I had recently [I cannot remember which came first] produced some black and white playing card designs for another of their early board games called Warlock, which I will cover during another post. I was credited for the work I did for the Warlock game, but not on the Doctor Who game.

The original samples I've found, which I will post below, along with some scans I found of the counters from the game, were small. This was because as the final pieces were to be small, it was important to hold image without losing detail so the actual drawings were very small. The brief was fairly straight forward, if a little weird in places if memory serves. For example some characters clearly linked to the TV series whereas others did not. But one thing I've learned over the years with some clients there is little point in either making suggestions or arguing, though luckily I've also worked with others who do encourage, if relevant, my input.

Anyway, onto the the images.

First a scan, for those not sure what the box cover [not my artwork] looked like.


Now scans found of the original counters. First as sheets.



 Now some scans of the counters used in the game



 

 Finally, those original drawings I mentioned.



Above: these two are shown larger than the original scale to give you and idea of how small they were.


 Finally, a sketch of Tom Baker as the Doctor shown at original size.

Now, here are some Sketches with a Space theme ...




Finally, for this post some more space related pictures, including two old Warhammer 40,000 pieces that appeared in White Dwarf magazine.



 
[above] Sample page never seen before. This is a good example of my experimentation with pen and brush.

This is retouched photocopied page
 
 
 These [above] all date from the mid 70's 


Two examples [above] from the book 'Heart of Ice' by Dave Morris, and below a couple of Warhammer 40,000 pieces used to illustrate articles in the Games Workshop magazine White Dwarf.



This last [above] is for an up and coming game called 'Thousand Suns'.

So there you have it; another post done, next should be another Warhammer related post and then it will be about the Warlock cards I designed for that game, and a 'special' Fiend Folio related treat!
Well, maybe [grin].

4 comments:

  1. Wow - I had no idea you were behind the counters in the Dr Who game! I spent many hours pouring over those tiny images - not many playing the actual game though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, t'was my work. I was sent a copy of the game its slightly squashed remains are upstairs still; but not played. Glad you liked the work.

      Delete
  2. Great Post. I actually played the Doctor Who game in high school. I really love the space art though. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Doomsdave, [love the name], but do please check again because I keep adding more to the space art material.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.